Friday, March 7, 2008

Smashing States of Mind on Inner Battlefields

Ben Axiom

Originally published in Profane Existence Magazine #52

Hippie, wu-wu, crystal worshipper, new-ager, wing-nut, health nut; for most of my life these damning labels shaped my attitude towards the holistic movement. It wasn't until recently that I became passionate about many things I was so intent on laughing off in the past. My declining mental and physical health brought me to the brink of collapse a few years ago and drove me to develop a deeper understanding of health and wellness.

I'd been treating my whole being like most people treat their cars: it's a vehicle of your will, it's not sacred. You don't know much about it, what it's made of, or how it works, and you only wish you did when it breaks down. Most people take their body and mind 'in' somewhere to "get fixed". When money doesn't allow, you have to do-it-yourself.

I had the good fortune of happening upon a radio program while at work called the Aware Show. The hosts interview cutting edge researchers, authors, healers, masters, and gurus of all types. Of course at first I xenophobically sneered at some of the far-out subject matter. I, like the Tibetan temple destroying communist Chinese, had fallen prey many years ago to the Marxian fear and disdain of all that was other-worldly.

Click Here To Continue Reading This Article

No comments: